Saturday, October 22, 2016

BENEFITS OF PRACTICING NICHIREN BUDDHISM

BENEFITS OF PRACTICING NICHIREN BUDDHISM

I occasionally meet people who complain, “I’ve been chanting, but I’m not getting any benefits.” As long as you earnestly practice your faith, it is absolutely impossible not to receive any benefits. We cannot judge the Gohonzon’s power merely by our own limited vision. 
  
The eyes of common mortals are totally unreliable. They are limited in that, even when they are wide open they can only see immediate benefits and cannot perceive the profound ones. For instance, if you happen to be involved in a serious traffic accident but emerge with only slight injuries, you offer your heartfelt gratitude to the Gohonzon. However, when the day ends uneventfully, and you return home safe and sound, you grumble, “Nothing good happened to me today.” This is the way of us common mortals.
  
Which is the greater benefit: to encounter misfortune and overcome it, or not to have any misfortune whatsoever? It goes without saying that the latter is far greater.

Buddhism terms readily visible but small benefits as “conspicuous,” and invisible but great benefits as “inconspicuous.” Small benefits are easy to recognize, but the great benefits take time before you notice them.

Visible benefits are not as great as invisible benefits. In Buddhism the intangible benefits are truly great. I’m not denying the value of conspicuous benefits, but it’s important to understand this point. If you fail to do so, you may think you will always receive conspicuous benefits, and if you don’t, you may lose confidence in faith.

We can understand the concept of conspicuous and inconspicuous benefit in terms of absolute and relative happiness. To improve one’s life materially and physically is to attain relative happiness. But relative happiness, no matter how great, has nothing to do with absolute happiness. That’s why we are so often told not to be swayed by superficial things in our practice of true Buddhism. When you become rich, you might lose sight of that essential something in your faith, and forget about your absolute happiness. 

*No matter what happens to you, you should continue to chant (Nam-myoho-renge-kyo) to the Gohonzon. 
*When you feel happy, you should thank the Gohonzon for your happiness. 
*When you feel sad, you should pray to the Gohonzon so that you can replace the sadness with joy. *In any event, it is the Gohonzon alone that you can depend on.

You should understand that something great is happening as long as you sincerely continue your faith, even when you don’t recognize it. By maintaining pure faith for five, ten, fifteen years and so on, before you realize it you will have arrived at a completely happy state of life – one you could not even have imagined. This is inconspicuous benefit. The power of the Gohonzon – the power of the Buddha and of the Law – is absolute. Whether or not we can call forth that power depends on our powers of faith and practice. Please tell your members to exert themselves, never doubting the Gohonzon’s power no matter what may occur, and always be convinced of the great blessings which will accrue from their practice. 

Source: Guidelines of Faith by Satoru Izumi


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just want to share an experience of the protection of the Law.
Just now I met an accident... Since our dissertation submission date is coming, I was working on that till 12.45 am. And planned to work for the whole night... Basically I am an early bird person. But today coincidentally I choosed to work at late night... Then also after 12.45 am . I was feeling bit sleepy and as my brain was not working I thought to go to bed.... As soon as I took my bed, I slept... Within one hour very suddenly my sleep got disrupt... I woke up with some sensation... And saw my mobile torch light is on.. I scolded myself ki how could I forgot to off that... The whole charge is draining unnecessarily.... I got up and was trying to find out the charger.... Within few seconds I noticed that there is a little fire in my ceiling fan. I suddenly got scared and thankfully hold the courage to off the switch. As soon as I did that... There was no fire. I thought my problem is solved and s.on the other fan. You won't believe after switching on the other.... The fire just sparked and sparks flew out of the fire in all directions..... It was tremendously horrific... I live in a rent house...my home is far from here, and this is not hostel also.... I just get doomed onwhat to do.... I called my owner , he didn't pick up . And the intensity of the fire was spreading like anything... This home is like 'Assam type home'... Ceiling was not made by cement... It's plywood ... I thought it will just about to touch the whole ceiling.... I forced to gather my courage and made Rubina wake up then ran out from the room to call the owner.... Thankfully he woke up and came .... S.off the electronic board and managed to put out the fire with the help of clothes....
I realised it's all about my practice which saved I and Rubina both in this way... Otherwise anything could happen.
And I also relized that our lives has its kosenrufu purpose to live for... Which we could only fulfill....
I remembered one of my friend's words that time, she always said me that 'Gohonzon gives protection over the accident too". ..
Thank You everyone for your prayers. ... And a kind request to you all to give extra thanks on your prayers to Gohonzon for this protection and do a routine check up of your electronic staffs.
Thank You all..